I’ve been trying to get to this place for a while now and I finally got my firefighter buddy to go with me. It’s right on the corner of the 285 exit and it’s easy to miss. I’m not even going to attempt to tell you how to get there — I wasn’t lucky enough to be born with the direction gene, sadly. Now, let me tell you a few rules about this place:
1. If the server tells you to get the special, by golly get it! Repeat: GET IT.
2. When you ask the server about a dish and she reluctantly tells you she hasn’t tried it, do not feel adventurous. Trust me. And trust her, she knows.
3. Drink water. My Diet Coke tasted like Pepsi. The refill tasted like Cherry Coke.
4. The Cuban Sandwich is really, really, really fantastic.
5. If you’re hungry at 4AM on a weekend, you know where to go.
Like I said, get the Cuban sandwich. The roast pork is heavenly– tender, moist, flavorful. There’s some non-overpowering mustard which I liked and a bread that would knock your socks off. You can order a half portion to go with your meal. But really, get the whole. You can thank me later.
The Picada. It has everything the kitchen has. Ropa Vieja, chicken, arepa, yucca, empanada (which was so good, by the way), gold potatoes, fries, sausages (delish), and chicharrones. This is a humongous plate and the menu says it’s for 2 people for $23.95. It’s an awesome deal if you can’t decide what to get. Just remember, two people get a plate each. The menu doesn’t say it but you can order half (or one plate) if you like.
There. Now go there and get whatever is special that day AND the Cuban sandwich.
Oh, before I forget… Another tip: the speed limit on this part of BuHi is a slow 35mph. Doraville PD is ruthless and will stop you for going 5 miles over that limit. Just like what happened to @takethoufood a couple of years ago. Right, SB? :p
Tostones Latin Cafe
5499 Buford Highway
Atlanta, GA 30340